Car and Van Rental FAQ’s
Are there any age restriction when hiring a vehicle?
- Drivers must be 23 years (up to a standard car group e.g. Vauxhall Astra or a Group small van e.g. Ford Transit Short Wheel Base). A young driver supplement may be payable. Drivers must be 25 or over for all other vehicle groups. Drivers aged 70 or over must provide a recent (issued just before the hire) doctor’s letter stating fitness to drive. For further information please contact our rental reservations department on 01494 535000
Can you supply vehicles with automatic transmission?
- Yes. We have a large selection of models.
Can I hire if I have penalty point on my licence?
- Certain endorsed licenses may be accepted, please contact us for details.
I passed my test last year, can I hire?
- No, our insurance requires that drivers must have held a full driving license for at least 2 years
What documentation do I need to bring with me?
- To hire a vehicle, UK drivers must bring a valid driving license (both parts) and a further form of identification, which must include proof of address.. Acceptable documents include utility bills and bank or credit card statements issued within the last 3 months. Please note that drivers with a photo card license must bring both parts.
I am under 23 can I hire?
• Drivers must have held a full valid driving license for a minimum of 2 years to be able to hire from us and further restrictions may apply, please contact our central reservations team on 01494 535000 for details.
Do I have to pay a deposit?
- A £300 minimum deposit is required on all hires. Deposit requirements will be confirmed at time of vehicle collection
What forms of payment do you accept?
- We accept payments by most major credit/debit cards, including Mastercard, Visa Credit, Visa Debit and Maestro. We do not accept cash or cheque.
Does the price include insurance?
- All prices quoted include GKL insurance which covers our vehicle, passengers and any third parties. It does not cover injury to the driver or damage to/theft of personal effects or goods.
Is there an insurance excess charge?
- Yes. An excess will be charged for each incidence of damage. Contact us for further information.
Can I take a Rental Vehicle to Europe?
- European rentals are restricted to cars and can only be taken with prior arrangement. Vans are not permitted to be taken out of the UK mainland. Customers are responsible for travel insurance costs. European breakdown recovery for the vehicle and passengers, will be provided by us. Additional charges will apply. For a quote please Contact Us. Please note that while vehicles may be taken to Northern Ireland they should not be taken over the border to Eire.